5 common food cravings, and what to eat instead
Everyone gets food cravings, but is it the chocolate you really need, or the magnesium that it contains? Obviously, everyone needs some chocolate or some potato chips once in a while as a little treat, but learning to eat healthier, more nutritious foods instead can help you maintain or lose weight. It’s not simply a matter of eating fruit or celery sticks instead, though. We often crave certain foods because they are rich in something that our body may be lacking. Learning what nutrients our desired snack contains can help us choose a healthier, more nutrient-dense option to fill our bellies and end the craving. Here’s a list of five common cravings and their nutrients:
- Chocolate – magnesium
- Other sweets – chromium, carbon, phosphorus, sulfur or tryptophan
- Salty snacks – chloride
- Oily or fatty foods – calcium
- Bread – nitrogen
Now, what should you eat instead?
- Chocolate – raw nuts and seeds, legumes, fruit
- Sweets – fresh fruits, dairy products, nuts, leafy greens, sweet potatoes, oatmeal
- Salty snacks – goat’s milk, sea salt (try on sliced tomatoes!)
- Oily or fatty foods – dark, leafy greens, nuts, and cheese
- Bread – high-protein foods like meat, tofu, peanut butter or yogurt
It doesn’t hurt to have the potato chips or cookies once in awhile, but it’s important to eat a varied diet full of fresh fruits, vegetables and other nutrient-rich foods to have a healthy body. You can satisfy your cravings and be healthy too.